Here Come the Fireworks!
When the fireworks and thunderstorms come rolling around, dogs can become anxious and scared and there is potential for dogs to cause harm to themselves and others. Sileo (meaning "to be silent" in Latin) is a brand new product developed by Orion Corporation and distributed by Zoetis, specifically for dogs with noise aversion.
According to Zoetis's* website, "At least one-third of dogs in the United States have noise aversion. Dogs experiencing noise aversion are distressed and suffering. They can damage property, injure themselves or escape. The suffering associated with self-inflicted trauma is readily recognized, but the physiological and emotional toll experienced by dogs with less obvious signs of noise aversion is often overlooked."
With July 4th and our own Utah holiday, Pioneer Day, approaching, there is great potential for dogs to become stressed and nervous. To help them and their owners, this product alleviates noise anxiety by calming the dog without sedating, which means they will have normal interactions with their owners. Sileo is the first and only FDA-approved treatment you can use at home for noise aversion in dogs and is clinically proven to be safe and effective without other treatments. It is fast-acting and can be used as needed for each noise event. If you have a dog that gets very nervous and scared during storms and fireworks, or displays some of the common behaviors shown in the picture below, give us a call to set up an appointment to discuss this product with one of our doctors.
Sileo is a prescription, therefore we will need to see your pet to prescribe this. If you have any questions please call our clinic at 801-782-4401.
*Zoetis is a leading animal health company who develops and manufactures medicines and vaccines for the animal industry. You can get more information on their company at https://www.zoetisus.com/
*This article has been reviewed by a licensed veterinarian*
The Dog Ate My Homework!
Time and time again we have heard about dogs eating things they shouldn't: From homework or paper, down to electronics. Sometimes, things pass through without anyone even knowing they were there, but other times ingested objects can cause intestinal obstruction which can be a medical emergency. Specific objects, like batteries and pennies, can lead to serious disease even without causing obstruction. In some cases (like in the picture below), smaller objects are still located in the stomach and a veterinarian can induce vomiting in the pet to retrieve the object. This is not always the case depending on the object and size.
Potential ingestible objects include: balls, socks, underwear, rocks, jewelry, toys, leashes, collars, plastic bags, pieces of shoe, peach pits, gravel, fishing lures, batteries (which is very dangerous just due to the acid contained in them), coins (even smaller coins like dimes and pennies can be dangerous!), needles (sewing or otherwise), string (especially in cats), pieces of blankets, towels, and stuffing from toys.
The easiest way to prevent your furry family member from eating these items is to keep them out of reach. Keep clothes in baskets or drawers, keep batteries or jewelry in containers, and keep crafting materials out of reach. When your pets are playing with toys, keep your eye on them. If they are starting to rip them apart, it's probably a good time to take that toy away and dispose of it.
Ingesting items is not the only way to get a foreign body. Porcupine quills, if not removed, can migrate their way through the body, even up in the brain or lungs. Other items that can do this include bullets, BBs, and sticks. Always monitor your pet's behavior to catch any potential foreign bodies from their environment.
If you have any questions regarding the information above, please give us a call at
*This article has been verified by a licensed veterinarian*