Time and time again we have heard about dogs eating things they shouldn't: From homework or paper, down to electronics. Sometimes, things pass through without anyone even knowing they were there, but other times ingested objects can cause intestinal obstruction which can be a medical emergency. Specific objects, like batteries and pennies, can lead to serious disease even without causing obstruction. In some cases (like in the picture below), smaller objects are still located in the stomach and a veterinarian can induce vomiting in the pet to retrieve the object. This is not always the case depending on the object and size.
Potential ingestible objects include: balls, socks, underwear, rocks, jewelry, toys, leashes, collars, plastic bags, pieces of shoe, peach pits, gravel, fishing lures, batteries (which is very dangerous just due to the acid contained in them), coins (even smaller coins like dimes and pennies can be dangerous!), needles (sewing or otherwise), string (especially in cats), pieces of blankets, towels, and stuffing from toys.
The easiest way to prevent your furry family member from eating these items is to keep them out of reach. Keep clothes in baskets or drawers, keep batteries or jewelry in containers, and keep crafting materials out of reach. When your pets are playing with toys, keep your eye on them. If they are starting to rip them apart, it's probably a good time to take that toy away and dispose of it.
Ingesting items is not the only way to get a foreign body. Porcupine quills, if not removed, can migrate their way through the body, even up in the brain or lungs. Other items that can do this include bullets, BBs, and sticks. Always monitor your pet's behavior to catch any potential foreign bodies from their environment.
If you have any questions regarding the information above, please give us a call at
*This article has been verified by a licensed veterinarian*